Thomas and Mary Clare Scott House

Italianate Beauty by Alan Stem, architect, 1894

About banner Option.jpg

Photographed this April, the Scott house is a perfect example of Beaux Arts/Italian Revival architecture.  With a side entry and portico, set on a narrow lot (for Summit Avenue's standards), the house has a commanding view of the Mississippi River valley from the back yard bluff. The Scotts lived in the house only  5 years, before it was sold to second owner George Thompson, owner and editor of the both the St. Paul Dispatch  and the Pioneer Press.  The third owners, Samuel and Charlotte Shepard revived the European influence of the house by installing French inspired lighting, and an entirely new library with hand carved doors, mantel, trim work, and other European imported detailing throughout the house.  Classic features include  checkerboard marble floors, leaded glass doors, sweeping marble stairs topped with wrought iron railings, and hand carved mantels. 

340 Summit.jpg